THE GREATEST DESIGN CHALLENGES ON THE PLANET TODAY ARE BEHAVIORAL
We’re looking for a behavioral science strategist who will work to understand behavioral challenges and develop strategies for addressing them. This position requires 4 to 7 years of experience.
WHO IS FINALMILE?
FinalMile is a behavioral science led design strategy firm. We specialize in the application of decision and behavioral sciences to understand and influence decision making to meet business objectives. It is an India-founded company, with offices in Chicago and Mumbai, with project work across 4 continents. FinalMile is now a part of Fractal Analytics one of the leading Analytics and AI companies in the world.
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE STRATEGIST AT FINAL MILE
Work across the entire spectrum of project phases:
• Collaborate with Fractal sales team to identify and qualify opportunities
• Collaborate with client-side project leadership to define the business context and behavioral challenge to address
• Identify key descriptive hypotheses, and approach to research, that will build understanding of context and actors’ behavior within that context, and speculate on prescriptive hypotheses to test as prototypes
• Lead & collaborate on planning, execution, analysis/ synthesis on a variety of research efforts; ranging from quick/ tactical to deep/ strategic
• Moderate customer interviews to identify underlying motivations, values, mental models and emotions
• Synthesize research findings into concise, actionable insights and visual frameworks that provoke client teams to think differently about the problem/ opportunity space
• Collaborate with creative and product teams (client side, internal and vendor) to ideate solutions and iterate on existing behavioral interventions
• Deliver behavior change and business outcomes – working with a multidisciplinary team with business, design and behavioral science toolkits
• Persuasively communicate findings in reports, presentations and workshops.
DESIRED TRAITS & OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
• A passion for continuous learning, including interest in reading and synthesizing research papers and books pertaining to the practice, and the ability to translate them into behavioral interventions
• Comfort with extreme ambiguity – adaptable to different business contexts, team structures, & project phases
• Desire to take ownership and judgment
• Desire to argue/write persuasively in support of a vision, and the ability to do so respectfully while keeping the team’s collective objectives at the fore
• Ability/ Desire to synthesize vast quantities of qualitative data points into meaningful and digestible chunks
• Willingness and comfort in building rapport with clients (at all levels of their organization), throughout the various project phases
• 20-30% travel annually expected
WHAT KINDS OF EXPERIENCE DO I NEED?
• Masters Degree in Cognitive neuroscience/Behavioral economics/Social Cognition or equivalent degree. You’ve been applying behavioral science in the context of business from 4-7 years.
• Some experience leading teams is desirable.
WHAT KINDS OF PROJECTS MIGHT I BE WORKING ON?
Final Mile is currently working mostly in Consumer Finance, CPG, Tech and Healthcare industries in the US. Final Mile addresses difficult problems that involve human decisions. Our focus is typically on large and systems problems, rather than isolated issues. Learn more about Final Mile’s work at
WHY MIGHT I BE MAKING THE SHIFT TO FINAL MILE?
• You want to work in a small design strategy firm that specializes in the application of behavioral sciences to unique organizational, commercial and/ or social behavioral challenges.
• You thrive on learning and variety, and aren’t getting enough in your current work.
• You want to be involved in the sense making process, from end-to-end, instead of only playing one small part in the overall process.
• You want creative and decision influence, and access to leadership
• You want to enact your skills in the application of design and behavioral science while growing your practice in both scope and depth.
WHAT MIGHT I EXPECT AS A PATH TO GROWTH?
It’s a small organization at this point, so there is an informal hierarchy based on skills in four dimensions:
- Approach to the Behavioral Challenge (Intersection of Business Thinking Toolkit + Behavioral Science Toolkit + Design Thinking Toolkit)
- Organizing the Narrative
- Packaging the Narrative
- Collaborating/ Managing People (Client + Internal Teams).
Hierarchy is largely determined by depth of skill in each dimension as well as integration across dimensions.